Colon cancer rising in people under 50

Colon Cancer Cases among Patients below 50 on the Rise

Cases of colon cancer among men and women under 50 are on the rise. According to guidelines by a recent analysis, screening should start at this age. As per the analysis, one in every seven patients suffering from colon cancers is below the age of 50.

On the other hand, the younger patients are likely to be in the advanced stage cancer. However, they are also likely to live longer without a recurrence, given the aggressive treatment they receive.

Traditionally, colon cancer was believed to be a condition only for the elderly. The new study is, therefore, a wake-up call to the medical fraternity that a majority of the colon cancer cases is  reported in people below 50 years.

However, it is quite soon to tell whether there is a need to alter the colon cancer screening guideline to reflect the emerging trend. The analysis also found that younger patients suffering from colon cancer were in most cases in advanced stages. This means that the disease has already affected the lymph nodes and other vital organs.

This is due to the fact that most young patients get diagnosed after the cancer symptoms begin to show. Anemia is among the common symptoms coupled with a blockage in the colon and bleeding bowels. Doctors should be keen to pinpoint these red flags of the colon cancer.

However, not every bowel bleeding is as a result of colon cancers. Cases of bright red bleeding characterized by bowel movement are normally due to hemorrhoids or even fissures. On the other hand, dark blood or stool with blood spots should be your warning sign.

Families with a history of the colon cancers and those high risk of suffering from it should begin early screening before attaining 50 years. Although this is highly recommended, it is unfortunate that is not consistently happening, which is something to be highly optimized.

The reason behind this sharp increase in colon cancer cases among the younger patients is unknown. Environmental factors are the main suspects contributing to the increase.

Poor lifestyle is another reason why colon cancer is on the rise. Obesity, lack of physical activities, poor diet, as well as obesity are factors known to result in colon cancer.

Most patients usually have any of these elements. Persons with these elements should be on the lookout for any colon cancer symptoms likely to occur at an earlier age.

The analysis was based on federal government data on close to 260, 000 persons suffering from colon cancer from 1998 through 2011. 15% of patients were under the age of 50 and were likely to be diagnosed with advanced cancer and likely to undergo surgery.

This is unlike those above 50 years. The younger patients were also subjected to radiation therapy than older patients.

About 68% of those under 50 survived for more than 5 years while those above 50 – 67 percent, close to the five years. It seemed as though the young ages were helpful in the cancer treatment and survival.

Although screening for colon cancer at a younger age may be costly, it would certainly be more helpful that it would hurt.  A lot of research is needed to understand why this is the trend today.  However, there is the need for the cancer community to ready itself for the steadily rising number of young colon cancer survivors. Most of these survivors  need prolonged support to deal with the psychological and physical results of the treatment.

For most people, annual physical examination provided the much-needed reassurance that they are they are indeed healthy. To others, these appear much like an alarm system that helps them spot the problem before it becomes serious.

The value of regular exam has been a topic of debate. However, it remains a valued tradition by most patients and doctors. In is unfortunate that most adults do not appreciate the value checkups.

This is common in instances where they assume they are in good health. Close to one-third of the 133 million chronic diseases reported by Americans, most of them were unaware of their condition. In fact, the chronic ailments result to 7 in every 10 deaths.

Why are regular check-ups important?

Frequent medical exams and test are a great way for you to identify a problem before it emerges. They also help find the problem in its early stages, thus increases the chances of treatment and cure even better.

By receiving the ideal health services, in this case, screening and treatment, you will be taking a step towards living longer and a healthier life. The exams and screening you get are dependent on a number of factors, including your family history, age, lifestyle, and health.

Keep in mind that the most common causes of cancer are poor lifestyle choices such as what you eat, physical activities and smoking.

The purpose of the exam appointment should be to:

Access the risk of future problems

Screen for the colon cancer

Help adopting a healthy lifestyle

Some of the things you should do before an annual checkup include:

Access your family history

Figure out whether you need any general screenings or vaccinations

Prepare a list of questions to carry with you

Contemplate on your future. Note the issued in your lifestyle that needs to be addressed such as overweight, fertility, and smoking problems.

Advanced cancer

Colon cancer is known to begin as a growth in the colon or rectum. The best preventive measure is the colonoscopy, which helps doctors to locate and remove the polyps. Unfortunately, the symptoms do not show until cancer begins to grow. In addition, the symptom is usually mistaken for other forms of ailments.

Colon cancer is ranked thirds as the most common type of cancer across the United States with well over 132,000 cases being reported in 2015. It was the second cause of cancer-related deaths after the lung cancer.

Close to 31 percent of all younger patients was found with a stage four cancer. On the contrary, only 25.1 percent of patients above 50 were diagnosed with a stage four cancer.

Cases of colon cancer were common among the non-white patients below the age of 50. Data provided by the U.S National Cancer database from 2004 to 2013 confirms the trend found in an earlier study in 1999. In the period between the studies, the risks of colon cancers in patients under 50 were yet to be adequately addressed.

Colon Cancer Survival Rates

The Colon cancer survival rate has been steadily rising since the mid-1980s. This improvement is tied to an increase in the awareness and screening among people. Locating the polyps and cancer early enough makes it easy to treat. Additionally, advances in treatment options are also tied to the better rate of survival.

Risk Factors and Prevention

The risk factor is considered to be anything that raises your likelihood of developing cancer. Although the risk factor is known to influence the chances of developing cancer, most of them are rarely the direct cause of cancer.  In fact, people with numerous cancer risk factors rarely develop cancer.

To the contrary, those who are aware of these risk factors always seem to develop cancer. However, identifying these risk factors and discussing them with your doctor will help you to make suitable lifestyle changes.

Those with an average risk of developing colon cancer have about a 5 percent chance of developing it. Close to 95 percent of colon cancers is said to be sporadic. This means that changes in genetics occur soon after birth, thus eliminated the likelihood of passing these changes on to the children.

Inherited colon cancers are not quite common and, usually, occur in cases where gene mutations and changes are passed down from one generation to the nest in a family. In most cases, the root cause of the colon cancer goes unknown.

Prevention of colon cancer

Different factors result in different types of cancer. Scientists are constantly in search of the factor that results in cancer. Although there is no known way to prevent cancer, there are proven ways known to reduce the risks. Consult with your doctor to know more about your personal risk of colon cancer.

DMCA.com Protection Status
error: Content is protected !!